The Barnard College Chemistry Department offers courses for undergraduates who plan to major or minor in the physical and life sciences, as well as for students pursuing other liberal arts degrees. The department offers majors and minors in chemistry and biochemistry, both approved by the American Chemical Society.
In a three-year sequence of core courses, students gain familiarity with the basic areas of the field: inorganic, organic, physical, analytical, and biological chemistry. Extensive laboratory work prepares students for success in graduate or professional research programs. The department contains modern laboratories designed for coursework and independent projects, and students may undertake independent research projects under faculty guidance during the academic year or over the summer.
Chemistry Department Mission Statement
Chemistry, the study of the formation and properties of molecules and materials, is central to the advancement of science and technology.
As a liberal arts college for women in New York City, Barnard has a special opportunity to promote the education of smart, intellectually curious, and highly motivated young individuals.
Within this context, the chemistry department’s mission is:
- To provide a complete chemical education through coursework, laboratory training, and research experience
- To develop scientific literacy among Barnard students through a vigorous study of chemistry and biochemistry
- To help students develop skills in critical thinking and analysis, written and oral communication, chemical literature, laboratory safety, and teamwork, which will prepare them for their future careers and roles as responsible contributors to their local, national, and global communities
- To support faculty and student research, which results in student coauthored, peer-reviewed scientific publications
Right Column Copy
Read the Chemistry Department Spring 2015 Welcome Back Memo from Chair Christian Rojas!
The Chemistry & Biology curriculum requirements have changed! Find our what this means for you, and view the new requirements.
Students - ever wonder what options your Chemistry degree affords you? Check out what other alumni have done post-graduation right here!
NEWS and EVENTS
Chemistry Main Menu
- Information for Prospective and First-Year Barnard Students
- Course Listing
- Faculty & Staff
- Course Information
- Scholarships and Fellowships
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Organic Chemistry Multimedia Lab
- Barnard Chemical Society
- Barnard Noyes Teacher Scholars Program
- Giving to Barnard and the Department of Chemistry