The Chemistry and Biochemistry curriculum has changed! As the new curriculum replaces the old one, there will be different requirements depending upon class year:
CLASS OF 2017 and beyond
Click on the appropriate link below to view suggested program maps. Select program according to when you completed General Chemistry (CHEM BC 2001).
Program Planning Guide:
Plan out your individual program using the guides available at the links below.
Requirements for the Minor
Courses required for the Chemistry minor are: CHEM BC 2001, BC 3328, BC 3230, BC 3231, BC 3333, BC 3338, and one of BC 3232, BC 3242, BC 3252, BC 3271, or BC 3282. There is no minor in Biochemistry.
While it is usually not permitted for a course required for a major to count for a minor, students majoring in a science which has a Chemistry requirement, such as Biology and Environmental Science, may still complete a minor in Chemistry. An exception to the rule that "courses for the major and minor may not overlap" may be granted by the COI for a student’s minor program when the petition from the Chair/Program Director meets the following conditions:
• the petition requests to count no more than two of the overlapping courses for the minor
• more than 18 points of coursework are required for the minor
• more than 40 points are required for the major with overlapping courses
• two or more courses required for the minor are required for the student's major.
Chemistry Main Menu
- Information for Prospective and First-Year Barnard Students
- Course Listing
- Faculty & Staff
- Course Information
- Scholarships and Fellowships
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Organic Chemistry Multimedia Lab
- Barnard Chemical Society
- Barnard Noyes Teacher Scholars Program
- Giving to Barnard and the Department of Chemistry